The MEND Program, available through Powell River Recreation Complex, empowers children and families to become fitter and healthier. There are two MEND programs. MEND 5-7 is for children 5-7 years old and their families and MEND 7-13 is for children 7-13 years old and their families. Both programs are free, fun and interactive and support the entire family in adopting a healthy lifestyle.
MEND is for children who are working with their families towards a healthier lifestyle or requiring help with achieving healthier behaviours. A parent or guardian must attend each MEND session with the child.
What happens at the MEND program?
- Parents and caregivers join their children in each session to learn about how to choose healthier foods, spend more time being physically active and less on screen time.
- Families participate in group sessions that show how small changes can make a big difference.
- Practical demonstrations, games and tips about healthy foods and label reading.
- Fun physical activity sessions for kids while parents discuss their successes and challenges with trained program leaders.
- A place for the entire family
- A place to meet new friends
- A place to support making healthier choices
MEND 7 – 13 is available Tuesdays from 6-8 pm at the PR Recreation Complex and Thursdays from 6-8 pm at Westview Elementary School, 3900 Selkirk Avenue. For more information, contact Christine Parsons at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-485-8903.