The Goodfellow sisters, Patsy, Linda, Wendy and Teri, at Saltery Bay picnic site in the spring of 1955. When an employment opportunity came up at the Powell River Company, the family moved from Drumheller, Alberta to the coast,and settled in Cranberry between Powell Lake and Cranberry Lake (photo below). All four girls attended Cranberry Elementary School.
Cranberry was incorporated as the Village of Cranberry in 1942 and was merged into Powell River in 1955. The settlement’s original name derives from the lake of the same name, around which grew cranberries on the peat-rimmed shoreline.
Because there was another Cranberry Post Office in British Columbia, the word “lake” was retained in the name of both post office and the village municipality although it has since been dropped since amalgamation into what is now the City of Powell River. Info and Pic Creds: Powell River Historical Museum.